New technology can bring tremendous benefits to consumers, but it also can present new challenges. Mobile apps offered on cell phones and other portable devices such as tablets and music players can perform a range of consumer services such as locating the nearest retail stores, managing shopping lists, tracking family budgets, and allowing consumers to read news articles, play interactive games, and connect with family and friends. The FTC is making a concerted effort to ensure that consumers have the information they need about mobile apps, and is offering new information on OnGuardOnline, the federal government’s website to help you be safe, secure and responsible on the Internet.
Visit OnGuardOnline.gov/apps for answers to these important questions:
- Why are some apps free?
- What types of data can apps access?
- How can I tell what information an app will access or share?
- Why do some apps collect location data?
- Why does the app I downloaded have ads in it?
- Should I update my apps?
- Could an app infect my phone with malware?
- Can I trust all the user reviews I read about an app?
Source: Federal Trade Commission