OverDrive has posted answers to a few questions that are being asked today.
They’re answers but OverDrive should be providing more depth to their responses. As you’ll read, “Your users’ confidential information will be protected” is one example. It’s an answer but without any details, explanation, etc. it will likely cause more questions than it will answer.
When a company announces something with such wide-ranging implications for their customers (in this case libraries/librarians) they should be ready with a set of materials with comprehensive answers from the outset. This doesn’t mean answer every conceivable question but after working with the library community for many years I’m sure OverDrive knows what info pros (aka customers) will be asking right after an announcement is made.
Hopefully, more details/explanations of these answers are coming very soon.
Many of our partners will immediately receive inquiries about this new program, so here is a brief introduction into what can be expected when the program launches:
- The Kindle Library Lending program will integrate into your existing OverDrive-powered ‘Virtual Branch’ website.
- Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
- A user will be able to browse for titles on any desktop or mobile operating system, check out a title with a library card, and then select Kindle as the delivery destination. The borrowed title will then be able to be enjoyed using any Kindle device and all of Amazon’s free Kindle Reading Apps.
- The Kindle eBook titles borrowed from a library will carry the same rules and policies as all our other eBooks.
- The Kindle Library Lending program will support publishers’ existing lending models.
- Your users’ confidential information will be protected.
- The Kindle Library Lending program is only available for libraries, schools, and colleges in the United States.