From the 2019 ORCID Annual Report:
We are delighted to report that there are 101 new member integrations in 2019, bringing the total number of active integrations worldwide to 661.
019 was another year of milestones in terms of researcher adoption and use of ORCID.
- 1,957,249 new users registered for an ORCID iD, for a year-end total of 7,763,812 users.
- Around 5,400 researchers create an iD every day, an increase of 8% over 2018
- Over 40% of records — 3,219,135 — have a connection to at least one other identifier
Direct to Full Text Annual Report
From an ORCID Blog Post:
Over the last 8 months, we have taken a deep look at our core strategies and developed a 2025 vision focused on reliability and resiliency. Our vision has three main components:
- developing the organization
- reworking how we engage with our communities, and
- maintaining and innovating on our service offering.
What is ORCID? We provide three essential services:
- a unique identifier
- a set of APIs to enable researchers to connect their iD with their affiliations and contributions, and
- a database to store these connections.
We have spent much of the last few years ensuring that our technology infrastructure is resilient and scales with ORCID adoption. Our technology is essential, but we also provide core engagement and communications functions to ensure best practices.
With our Board, we have developed a 2025 vision. Based on our four core strategies, we have articulated core activities and KPIs. We are building an analytics platform this year that will enable us to develop dashboards for ongoing tracking. We are also carrying out an internal activity-based costing project to better understand service costs, very important for ORCID as we are a non-profit operating on a cost-recovery basis. W
Direct to 2025 Vision Document