The Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) and United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization Memory of the World PERSIST Project (UNESCO/MoW/PERSIST) have released their online Executive Guide on Digital Preservation. The new resource provides practitioners with a combination of generic and specific messages and motivators designed to communicate with senior executives, legislators and budget holders, as well as decision and policy makers with a view to embedding the value of digital preservation at the core of every organization.
Interactive and customizable, the Executive Guide is an online and accessible collection of resources, available to all free of charge through the DPC website, and contains:
- Generic statements defining digital preservation in a range of clear, non-jargon terms which may be understood by various organization types
- Information relating to digital preservation in specific sectors and organization types
- A summary of the importance of digital preservation generally and specifically
- Key motivators for digital preservation which may be relevant to different organization types
- Risks and opportunities related to digital preservation
- Downloadable and customizable templates
- Useful links to related and relevant resources
- Statistics and evidence to be used in supporting the case for digital preservation
Each statement is associated with an organization type for which it might be most relevant. Currently the Executive Guide contains statements which have been created for (and by) Archives, Businesses, Higher Education and Research, Libraries, Museums and Galleries.
Direct to Executive Guide on Digital Preservation