New Report/Data: IFI CLAIMS Announces Fastest Growing Technologies Based on Patent Growth
From IFI CLAIMS:
IFI CLAIMS Patent Services, provider of a leading global patent data platform, today released an analysis of the 10 fastest growing technologies as determined by patent application growth in 2018. IFI found that Genomics Testing saw the greatest growth with 2.5 times as many patents as the prior year. The analysis looks at year-over-year percentage growth of pre-grant patent publications issued by the USPTO in 2018.IFI also posted an interactive chart including more than 2,500 CPC groups, a patent classification system utilized by the USPTO. The plot depicts CPC outliers with the greatest percentage gains. These are not necessarily generating the most patents or even the largest number of patents over the previous year, but indicate those with the most rapid growth.
Among the fastest growing technologies identified:
- Genomics Testing (Involving Modified Oligonucleotides) – An increase in patent applications of 249% over 2017 with 10X Genomics leading the way.
- Medical Imaging – 186% more patent applications were submitted with Siemens Healthcare taking the number one spot.
- Machine Learning – Computer systems based on biological models generated 2,498 patents in 2018 up 116% and with IBM the leading contributor.
- Healthcare Sensing & Tracking – This healthcare informatics class, which includes software to monitor patient compliance, is up by 115% and also led by IBM.
- Warehouse Storage – Storage and transport devices for warehousing is up 79% and led by Intel. Walmart and Amazon are also active in this category.
- Computers – Internal Transfer of Information – This digital data processing class which includes memory sharing for applications is up 64% and is also led by Intel.
- Other top 10 CPC classes named in the report include Rubber Polymers and Co-Polymers, Protective Circuits, Macromolecular Compounds, and Textiles.
In addition to the fastest growing technologies, IFI also identified the three largest CPC groups in 2018:
- Input and Output of Arrangements for Transferring Data (G06F 3/), such as image acquisition, had 20,703 published applications
- Digital Computing or Data Processing (G06F 17/), including database structures and information retrieval, with 18,318 patent applications
- Communications Systems Supporting Networked Applications (H04L 67/), such as real-time multimedia communication, had 12,522 applications
All of these categories had a decline in patent applications compared to 2017, but were still the largest.
In January, IFI released the 2018 Top 50 Patent Recipients, the most trusted ranking of U.S. patent assignees. Also available is the IFI CLAIMS Top 1,000, a free, interactive analysis of the global assignees that received the most U.S. utility grants.
Direct to Interactive Chart
Direct to Highlights: Slide Presentation
Direct to IFI News Release
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.