Panorama Project Releases First Research Report: “Community Reading Impact Report”
First, a bit a background about Panorama Project from a July 2018 Library Journal article by Matt Enis:
Another promising data-driven research opportunity is the new Panorama Project. With initial funding provided by OverDrive, the Panorama Project has the intention of tracking not only digital content but also circulation patterns of print books to gain insights into how libraries, publishers, booksellers, and distributors work together, as well as “the impact of library holdings on book discovery, author brand development, and sales.
Now, today’s news.
From the Panorama Project Blog:
Today the project is releasing its first research report. The project’s Community Reading Event Impact Report presents findings on the impact of a recent OverDrive Big Library Read (BLR) community reading campaign. First-time author Jennifer McGaha’s Flat Broke With Two Goats (Sourcebooks, 2018) was selected for the April 2018 public library ebook club event. The data analyzed by the project shows that the selection and promotion of the title for the April 2–16, 2018 event aligns with significant increases in associated social media activity and retail print/ebook sales.
Discovery Impact from the Campaign
- 5.6 million page views globally of the ebook title details page in public library digital catalogs.
- An increase in title’s Amazon Kindle sales rank—from below 200,000 prior to the library ebook club campaign to 7,833 at the close of the event.
Brand Development Impact from the Campaign
- Over 13,000 Goodreads additions for the title during the campaign.
- 400+ comments from readers, librarians, the author, and OverDrive forum moderator on the OverDrive moderated title discussion board.
- 500+ mentions from libraries and readers on social media sites using #BigLibraryRead.
Retail Sales Impact from the Campaign
- 818% growth in ebook sales from March to April, 2018.
- 201% growth in print sales from March to April, 2018.
- Sustained retail sales above pre-campaign (January–March 2018) volumes:
- April–June 2018 ebook sales continued at 720% above pre-campaign volumes.
- April–June 2018 print sales continued at 38% percent above pre-campaign volumes.
Direct to Complete Blog Post/Data Sources ||| PDF Version
Direct to Full Text Report
22 pages; PDF.
Learn More About the Panorama Project
Panorama Project Board Advisory Council Members
Report from First Meeting
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.