From The Daily Cavalier:
The University Board of Visitors Buildings and Grounds Committee met in the Rotunda Thursday to review the schematic designs for the renovations to Alderman library, Brandon Avenue and the new softball stadium, along with other new and continuing projects. The Board approved the 2018 Multi-Year Major Capital Plan, which outlined the funding for these projects.
requesting the percentage of cuts to the print collection in Alderman be much closer to zero and garnered over five hundred signatures from University students, faculty and alumni. The petition also asked that the renovations limit the use of compact shelving, as it limits the option to easily browse books in the stacks for research.
Read the Complete Article
From U.Va. Library:
Having now received feedback from the BOV, HBRA Architects will work with the University to refine and compile preliminary plans intended to go to the Virginia General Assembly in Fall 2018.
The proposal for a renovated Alderman includes:
- All new (much-needed) building infrastructure, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety, IT, and security.
- A renovated south entrance and the addition of a new highly-accessible north entrance with better utilization of outdoor space and a welcoming entree from the “Ivy Corridor” and University Avenue area.
- Better utilization of space to maximize access to the collections while creating a variety of usable spaces (meeting rooms, staff areas, learning spaces, spaces for research, study, examining materials, etc.).
- Adaptability in the name of long-term use and collection growth, including floor load capable of supporting maximum weight of compact shelving throughout new construction.
- Ample lighting (both natural and artificial), including better utilization of the internal light wells.
- Restoration and optimization of historic Alderman characteristics, such as exterior envelope, masonry, windows, and wood cornices, as well as historic rooms, like Memorial Hall, Mt. Vernon Room, and others.
Read the Complete Post