Statistics Canada Releases New Book Publishing Sales, Revenue, Earnings Data
From Statistics Canada:
The Canadian book publishers industry generated operating revenue of $1.6 billion in 2016, down 0.6% compared with 2014.
Operating expenses decreased 1.4% to $1.5 billion, resulting in an operating profit margin of 10.2%. Salaries, wages, commissions and benefits totalled $379.7 million in 2016, down 1.9% from 2014, and accounted for the largest portion of total operating expenses (25.7%).
Other large contributors to total operating expenses were cost of goods sold (20.1%) and subcontracts (15.4%)
Total sales amounted to $1.5 billion in 2016. Of total sales, Canadian book sales increased 0.5% from 2014 to $1.4 billion in 2016, while all other sales declined 7.9% to $108 million. Of the $1.4 billion invCanadian book sales generated in 2016, 53.8% was attributable to foreign controlled firms, while 46.2% was generated by Canadian controlled firms.
Domestic sales accounted for 81.0% of Canadian book sales, while export sales made up the remaining 19.0%. Exports sales increased 11.8% in 2016 to $260.5 million.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.