Research Tools: Enhancements Made to Congress.gov (June and July 2017)
From the Congress.gov Enhancements Page:
Enhancements – Legislation Advanced Search Improvements
- Legislation Action Date Search
- Date of Action and the Search in Actions/Status Text box now function together to support finding all measures that became law during February 2017 and other date searches.
- Limit action searches by House or Senate
Enhancements – Committee Authority Project (phase 1)
- Committee Authority Project is a multi-phase project to improve access to committee information.
- Committee Names and Codes – Historic committee names added to help researchers identify years when committee names have changed.
- Committee picklists on Legislation, Committee Report, Nomination, and Senate Executive Communication quick forms will be managed by committee authority rules, rather than committee activity data.
- Committee picklists now provide a complete list of committees eligible to interact with legislation and Congressional documents for all congresses since 1973.
- Committee picklists support cross-congress retrieval of items regardless of committee names changes.
Enhancements – Search:
- Presumed AND for global and advanced search
- Legislation search form filters for Actions, Titles, and Summaries
- Nomination search form Date, Actions, Position, and Organization filters
- Treaty Document search form filters for Actions, Titles, Text of Resolution, and Index Terms
- Query Builder – text search box expands to support lengthy searches
Enhancements – Usability:
- Change “Facet” to “Filter”
- Print-friendly page scaling
- Print-friendly Amendment “All Information” pages
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.