The National Academy of Inventors (NAI) and the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) have announced the Top 100 Worldwide Universities Granted U.S. Utility Patents in 2015. The report utilizes data acquired from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to highlight the important role patents play in university research and innovation.
The NAI and IPO have published the report annually since 2013. The rankings are compiled by calculating the number of utility patents granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office which list a university as the first assignee on the printed patent.
Here’s the Top 10 (Number of U.S. Utility Patents Granted in 2015)
1. University of California, The Regents of (489)
2. Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (278)
3. Stanford University (205)
4. University of Texas (191)
5. Tsinghua University (184)
6. California Institute of Technology (183)
7. Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (161)
8. Johns Hopkins University (143)
9. Columbia University (119)
10. University Of Michigan (117)