The members of HathiTrust have elected three individuals to serve on its Board of Governors beginning on January 1, 2016. Anne R. Kenney, Carl A. Kroch Librarian, Cornell University, and Winston Tabb, Sheridan Dean of University Libraries, Johns Hopkins University, will serve three-year terms that end in December 2018. Beth McNeil, Dean of Library Services at Iowa State University, will serve a one-year term. “Each of these three accomplished librarians will bring vision, wisdom and knowhow to the Board of Governors, helping to ensure that the HathiTrust Digital Library will continue to innovate and thrive,” said Sarah Michalak, past chair of the Board and chair of the 2015 Nominating Committee.
Kenney and Tabb will replace outgoing Board members Sarah Michalak, Associate Provost and University Librarian at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and and Carol Mandel, Dean of Libraries at New York University, whose three year terms conclude at the end of 2015. Executive Director Mike Furlough stated that “both Sarah and Carol have helped to guide HathiTrust through a crucial period of transition while serving as members of the HathiTrust Board of Governors. I will miss working with them, but Anne, Winston and Beth are excellent additions as HathiTrust continues to grow.”
The HathiTrust Board of Governors has ultimate responsibility for HathiTrust’s activities, functions, finances, and operations. It includes six at-large members elected by the membership and six members appointed by the founding institutions, which include the University of Michigan, Indiana University, the University of California and the members of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. The current members of the Board and their terms follow.
- Lizabeth (Betsy) Wilson, University of Washington, chair-elect and treasurer 2015 (term ends December 2017)
- Bob Wolven, Columbia University (term ends December 2017)
- Richard Clement, University of New Mexico, chair 2015 (term ends December 2016)
- Anne Kenney, Cornell University (appointed term ends December 2015)
- Carol Mandel, New York University (term ends December 2015)
- Sarah Michalak, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, past chair 2015 (term ends December 2015)
- Ivy Anderson, California Digital Library (interim, appointed)
- Carol Diedrichs, Ohio State University (appointed)
- James Hilton, University of Michigan (appointed)
- Wendy Lougee, University of Minnesota (appointed)
- Carolyn Walters, Indiana University (appointed)
Direct to Complete Announcement
Includes brief bios of new board members.