The videos embedded below were recorded at Harvard Purdue Research Data Management Symposium held at Harvard University on June 16-17, 2015 and were made available on YouTube earlier today.
The Harvard Library, Purdue University Libraries, and Arcadia sponsored the event.
From the Symposium’s Web Site:
This symposium on data management incorporated visionary ideas, new concepts, and inspirational speakers. The purpose was to promote data awareness and integration of library services into the research cycle, and to demonstrate that data management is not simply about compliance but also about building relationships and engaging stakeholders at all levels. Well-managed data allows researchers to develop new lines of inquiry that would not have been possible previously and to communicate their work in innovative ways; librarians can contribute to this effort. The symposium explored broader data management needs across libraries and archives that can lead to developing recommendations and policies as well as creating central architecture to support data management.
Each link will take you to session descriptions along with access to speaker slides and bios.
- Sarah E. Thomas, Vice President for the Harvard Library and Roy E. Larsen Librarian for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
- James L. Mullins, Dean of Libraries and Esther Ellis Norton Professor, Purdue University
- Richard McCullough, Vice Provost for Research, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering Harvard University
- Jeffrey T. Bolin, Associate Vice President for Research, Purdue University
- Sayeed Choudhury, Associate Dean for Research Data Management and Hodson Director of the Digital Research and Curation Center at the Sheridan Libraries, Johns Hopkins University
- Sylvie Brouder, Professor of Agronomy, Purdue University
- Sylvie Brouder, Professor of Agronomy, Purdue University—moderator
- Alberto Accomazzi, Project Manager, NASA Astrophysics Data System, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- Victoria Stodden, Associate Professor in the Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Miriam Posner, Coordinator and Core Faculty, Digital Humanities Program, University of California, Los Angeles
- Susan Gomes, Director of Research Development and Strategy, Harvard University— moderator
- Laura Biven, Senior Science and Technology Advisor, Office of the Deputy Director for Science Programs, US Department of Energy
- Anita de Waard, VP Research Data Services at Elsevier
- Scott Edwards, Professor of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology and Curator of Ornithology in the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University and National Science Foundation
- Paul Bracke, Associate Dean for Research and Assessment, Purdue University—moderator
- Michael Witt, Associate Professor of Library Science and Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2), Purdue University
- Mercè Crosas, Director of Data Science at the Institute for Quantitative Social Science (IQSS), Harvard University
- Richard E. (Rick) Luce, Dean of University Libraries, Professor and Peggy V. Helmerich Chair, and Associate Vice President for Research, University of Oklahoma.