New Research and Visualizations About Who Links to Wikipedia
From the Wikimedia Blog:
To learn more about who links to Wikipedia, our research team at the University of Sheffield analyzed the structure of links that point to Wikipedia pages from external websites, looking specifically at which top-level domains dominate the link volume for each Wikipedia language. Here’s what we found.
- The main top-level domains that link to the English Wikipedia are: .com, .org, .blogspot.com, .net, .edu, and .co.uk.
- The most popular Wikipedia according to the number of links that it receives from external websites is the English Wikipedia. After that, the Spanish, the Indonesian, and the German Wikipedias are the most popular.
- Websites under blogspot.com contribute many links to Wikipedia. For the Spanish, Indonesian, and Portuguese Wikipedias they contribute more than all the other .com websites.
- Out of the 36 million links to Wikipedia, 18 million links are from .com domains to the English Wikipedia.
- Most links to the German and French Wikipedias come from .de and .fr domains respectively.
More about the research can be found in the complete article.
The two charts included in the article are also embedded below.
External Link Volume For All Wikipedia Languages and all Top-level Domains
External Link Volume For Non-English Wikipedia Languages and All Top-Level Domains
Filed under: News
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.