Toronto Public Library Opens 99th Branch, “A Facility That’s Built For the 21st Century”
The new Fort York Branch opened at 10am today. It’s the first new TPL branch in a decade. The Toronto Public Library is one of the busiest urban public library systems in the world.
If you’re familiar with the Greater Toronto Arera, the new library is located only a few blocks from the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) and CN Tower.
From the Formal Announcement:
City Librarian Jane Pyper and Toronto Public Library Board Chair Michael Foderick formally opened the branch with a special ribbon cutting ceremony this morning. Library customers were welcomed with refreshments, entertainment and branch tours.
“Fort York Branch is truly a library built for the 21st century,” said Jane Pyper, City Librarian. “It’s attractive and welcoming, a community hub that offers the things we expect from our libraries – a great selection of materials to browse and borrow, computers and Internet access, comfortable spaces and knowledgeable, friendly staff – with a new focus on innovation including a digital innovation hub complete with 3D printer, wired pods for study and collaboration and a computer learning centre. It’s a beautiful branch and we’re happy to be part of this vibrant neighbourhood.”
What Will You Find Inside the New Building?
- Comfortable lounge and casual reading spaces with zones for children and teens, spaces for quiet study and community meetings
- Digital innovation hub that offers access to emerging technologies including 3D printing, all-in-one DJ hardware and audio/video production
- A wide collection of 35,000 new books, periodicals and DVDs for customers of all ages, as well as public computers and free wifi
- Magnificent views, looking to the north to an outdoor reading terrace, the soon to be created Mouth of the Creek Park and to the west across Bathurst Street to Fort York
- A unique public art project featuring the art of Charles Pachter and poetry of Margaret Atwood from The Journals of Susanna Moodie (to be installed this summer)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.