UK: Assessment: New Welsh Public Library Standards Framework Published
From the Welsh Government:
The new framework includes for the first time a number of measures which evaluate the impact and benefits for individuals of using a library service, such as increase in skills, improved health and well-being, and feeling part of a community.
The standards are used by the Welsh Government to monitor and assess performance of local authority library services and form part of Libraries Inspire, the Welsh Government’s strategic development framework for libraries.
From the Framework Info Page:
What is the purpose of the framework?
The primary aims and objectives are to:
- include outcome measures to show the benefits of using libraries
- act as a driver for improvements to library services and local communities
- be relevant and useful to all local authority library services in Wales
- be transparent, easily understood and accepted by all stakeholders
- provide a robust assessment of the performance of library services
The framework encourages local authorities to ensure that the public can benefit from:
- the provision of suitable and appropriate access to public library service points
- a suitable and appropriate range of materials and activities available
- access to adequate levels of staffing and a skilled workforce
- adequate capital investment in buildings, effective ICT and efficient managements systems for their library service
5th Framework; April 2014
Hat Tip: Matt R. Weaver
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.