Via the Association of Research Libraries:
The SHared Access Research Ecosystem (SHARE)—a joint initiative of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Association of American Universities (AAU), and the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU)—today released the SHARE Notification System Project Plan (19 pages; PDF).
The plan details the first in a series of activities to be undertaken by SHARE to ensure that scholarly research outputs are discovered and built upon in a manner that facilitates and accelerates the research process. The SHARE notification system is consistent with higher education’s ongoing mission to encourage community-driven solutions that increase public access to research and maximize knowledge creation.
Funding agencies, sponsored research offices at universities, institutional and disciplinary repositories, and other interested parties have found it difficult to keep abreast of the release of publications, datasets, and other results of scholarly research. Across the disciplines, principal investigators and other scholars do not have any single, structured way to report on these releases in a timely and comprehensive manner. The SHARE Notification System is a higher education–based initiative to strengthen efforts to identify, discover, and track research outputs.
The SHARE Notification System Project Plan focuses on the process by which this system will be developed. This process will also make it possible for SHARE to develop the long-term vision of a robust repository ecosystem that includes not just the notification system, but also the following:
- A distributed registry layer that can accommodate not just publications but also research data
- A discovery layer to help interested parties find research outputs across repositories
- A content aggregation layer that moves beyond curation and discovery to facilitate data and text mining of large corpora of content, as well as other community-driven value-added services
The full text of the SHared Access Research Ecosystem plan is available here and is also embedded below.
Additional SHARE Documents (via ARL)
- SHARE Tenets and Overview (PDF), October 23, 2013
- Sloan Foundation Awards ARL Grant to Develop SHARE for Access to Publicly Funded Research, ARL news release, October 23, 2013
- Higher Ed Associations Form Joint Steering Group to Build Federated System for Publicly Funded Research, ARL-AAU-APLU news release, August 29, 2013
- SHared Access Research Ecosystem (SHARE) (PDF) draft proposal, June 7, 2013