National Library of Medicine Enhances Digital Collections With New Look,Features; More Than 10,000 Resources Now Available
Here are some of the enhancements that were recently made to NLM’s Digital Collections database.
- Redesigned homepage with informative images highlighting repository content
- New “Refine by” feature on the left which allows users to limit searches to specific facets
- Fresh indexing of metadata and full text for more efficient search & retrieval
- Replacement of the Muradora front-end application with Blacklight, an open-source discovery interface which sits on top of the repository’s Solr index
- Upgrades to all major software components supporting the repository, including the underlying Fedora Commons framework
In November, Digital Collections reached the milestone of providing access to 10,000 digitized resources. The repository contains over 12 million discrete files. NLM regularly deposits content from its digitization activities, including current projects focused on WWII-era materials and NLM-authored publication
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.