The university has dedicated $10 million of its money and $6.8 million in donations to a two-year renovation project of the building on U-M’s central campus tucked behind the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library and next to the Shapiro Undergraduate Library.
The Clements Library, built in 1923 and designed by Albert Kahn, houses a large collection of books and documents on American history prior to 1900.
Among those documents are the first letter written by Christopher Columbus, and all of George Washington’s medical records.
The biggest physical expansion of space for the library will be a 3,000-square-foot basement addition that will add space for mechanical equipment. A part of the expansion will also be used to house shelves of books – and will give the library room to grow its collections.
Read the Complete Article