The following report was released today by OCLC Research and RLUK.
Survey of Special Collections and Archives in the United Kingdom and Ireland
- The top challenges for archives and special collections in the UK and Ireland are outreach, born-digital materials and space.
- Alignment of special collections with institutional missions and priorities is an ongoing challenge.
- The special collections sector is undergoing a major culture shift that mandates significant retraining and careful examination of priorities.
- Philanthropic support is limited, as are librarians’ fundraising skills.
- Use of all types of special collections material has increased across the board.
- Users expect everything in libraries and archives to bedigitized.
- One-third of archival collections are not discoverable in online catalogs.
- Management of born-digital archival materials remains in its infancy.
The report also contains twenty recommendations that the authors feel will have a positive impact toward addressing the issues identified.
Direct to Executive Summary (12 pages; PDF)
Direct to Full Text Report: Survey of Special Collections and Archives in the United Kingdom and Ireland (153 pages; PDF)
See Also: Direct to 2010 Full Text Report: “Taking Our Pulse: The OCLC Research Survey of Special Collections and Archives” (PDF)