New White Paper and Podcast from ACRL: “Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summits”
From an ACRL Announcement:
The Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) has released a white paper, “Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summits,” which reports on two invitational summits supported by a National Leadership Collaborative Planning Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. The white paper is freely available from the ACRL Value of Academic Libraries website.
The report—co-authored by Karen Brown, associate professor at Dominican University, and ACRL Senior Strategist for Special Initiatives Kara Malenfant—summarizes broad themes about the dynamic nature of higher education assessment that emerged from the summits. From these themes, the report presents five recommendations for the library profession:
- Increase librarians’ understanding of library value and impact in relation to various dimensions of student learning and success.
- Articulate and promote the importance of assessment competencies necessary for documenting and communicating library impact on student learning and success.
- Create professional development opportunities for librarians to learn how to initiate and design assessment that demonstrates the library’s contributions to advancing institutional mission and strategic goals.
- Expand partnerships for assessment activities with higher education constituent groups and related stakeholders.
- Integrate the use of existing ACRL resources with library value initiatives.
“Beyond these recommendations, the report also articulates a framework for future action,” said Megan Oakleaf, co-chair of ACRL’s Value of Academic Libraries committee and associate professor at the Syracuse University School of Information Services. “This will be a guiding document for furthering the discussion at national and local levels.”
Read the Complete News Release/Summary
Direct to Full Text of White Paper: Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summits
Podcast: Value of Academic Libraries Summits White Paper and Update
C&RL News Editor-in-Chief David Free talks with ACRL Value of Academic Libraries Committee Co-Chairs Lisa Hinchliffe of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Megan Oakleaf of Syracuse University about the newly released white paper “Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summits” and the history and future of the ACRL Value of Academic Libraries Initiative.
See Also: ACRL White Paper Recommends Ways for Academic Libraries to Demonstrate Value
by Michael Kelley, Library Journal
See Also: 2012 Top Ten Trends in Academic Libraries: A Review of the Trends and Issues Affecting Academic Libraries in Higher Education
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.