OCLC has signed new agreements with leading publishers around the world and has added important new content and collections to WorldCat Local, the OCLC discovery and delivery service that offers users integrated access to more than 922 million items.
WorldCat Local offers access to books, journals and databases from a variety of publishers and content providers from around the world; the digital collections of groups like HathiTrust and Google Books; open access materials, such as the OAIster collection; and the collective resources of libraries worldwide through WorldCat.
WorldCat Local is available as a stand-alone discovery and delivery service, and as part of OCLC WorldShare Management Services. Through WorldCat Local, users have access to more than 1,700 databases and collections, and more than 650 million articles.
OCLC recently signed agreements with the following content providers to add important new collections—including some searchable full text—to WorldCat Local, WorldCat.org and OCLC WorldShare Management Services:
- Alexander Street Press, based in the United States, brings together the skills of traditional publishing, librarianship, and software development to create quality electronic collections. Alexander Street Press will provide metadata and full text to centrally index 30 databases through WorldCat Local, WorldCat.org and OCLC WorldShare Management Services. A few of the databases included in the agreement are American Song, Contemporary World Music, and Alexander Street Literature.
- Brepols Publishers, based in Belgium, is an international academic publisher of works in the humanities. Brepols will be providing OCLC with books and journals, both metadata and full-text, for inclusion in WorldCat.org, WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services.
- Elsevier, based in the Netherlands, a leading global provider of scientific, technical and medical (STM) information products and services, will make the full text from Elsevier’s SciVerse ScienceDirect journals and e-books available to users of OCLC’s WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services. Metadata from the SciVerse ScienceDirect will also be exposed in WorldCat.org.
- IOP Publishing, based in the United Kingdom, provides publications through which leading-edge scientific research is distributed worldwide. IOP is part of the Institute of Physics, a leading scientific society promoting physics and bringing physicists together for the benefit of all. IOP will be providing journal metadata to OCLC for inclusion into WorldCat Local, WorldCat.org and OCLC WorldShare Management Services.
- Nordic Council of Ministers (Norden), based in Denmark, is a collaboration of countries involving Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden as well as the three autonomous areas, the Faroe Islands, Greenland and the Åland Islands. Norden will be providing metadata to OCLC for dictionaries, educational material, image databases, maps and other online resources related to the Nordic Region and Nordic co-operation. This metadata will be included in WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services.
- The Philosophy Documentation Center, located in the United States, is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing affordable access to materials in applied ethics, classics, philosophy, and religious studies. Its E-Collection (including POIESIS: Philosophy Online Serials) contains journals, book series, conference proceedings, and other publications in applied ethics, philosophy, religious studies, and related disciplines. This collection includes titles produced in cooperation with professional associations, research centers, and publishers in several countries. The Philosophy Documentation Center is providing metadata and full text to OCLC for inclusion in WorldCat Local, WorldCat.org and OCLC WorldShare Management Services.
- Rock’s Backpages, based in the United Kingdom, is the ultimate archive of music journalism, which includes thousands of articles from Aaliyah to ZZ Top, by the finest rock writers of the last 50 years. Rock’s Backpages will provide article level metadata to OCLC for inclusion into WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services. Free content will be made available through WorldCat.org.
- Royal Society of Chemistry’s RSC Publishing division, based in the United Kingdom, provides a broad range of resources for the scientific community including Books/eBooks, databases, journals and magazines. With a significant increase in international contributions (over 50% growth in journal articles in 2011), RSC Publishing offers high impact content (average Impact Factor of 5.4) in chemical sciences; energy and environmental sciences; food science; medicinal chemistry and biomolecular sciences; and nano, polymers and materials science. RSC Publishing will be providing OCLC with eBook and journal article level metadata and full text for indexing purposes. The data will be included in all OCLC products and services including WorldCat, WorldCat.org, WorldCat Local and OCLC WorldShare Management Services.
- The Taylor & Francis Group, based in the United Kingdom, partners with researchers, scholarly societies, universities and libraries worldwide to bring knowledge to life. As one of the world’s leading publishers of scholarly journals, books, ebooks and reference works, Taylor & Francis content spans all areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Science and Technology. Taylor & Francis will be providing metadata for all of their journals and books. The data will be included in all OCLC products and services.
- Sabinet, based in South Africa, has been a leader in facilitating access to electronic information for more than 27 years. Sabinet has increased their partnership with OCLC to allow OCLC to centrally index their full text for the metadata currently in WorldCat Local for the SAE Publications.
Read More About the New Content Added to WorldCat Local