Here are a few, only a few, of the facts and stats included in the Facebook filing.
Fast Facts Direct from the Facebook S-1
- As of December 31, 2011. As of December 31, 2011, we had 845 million MAUs [Monthly active users], an increase of 39% from December 31, 2010.
- We experienced growth across different geographies, with users in Brazil and India representing a key source of growth. We had 161 million MAUs in the United States as of December 31, 2011, an increase of 16% from the prior year. We had 37 million MAUs in Brazil as of December 31, 2011, an increase of 268% from the prior year. Additionally, we had 46 million MAUs in India as of December 31, 2011, an increase of 132% from the prior year.
- Worldwide DAUs increased 48% to 483 million on average during December 2011 from 327 million during December 2010. We experienced growth in DAUs across major markets including Brazil, Canada, Germany, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Increased mobile usage was a key contributor to this growth. DAUs as a percentage of MAUs increased from 54% in December 2010 to 57% in December 2011.
- We had more than 425 million MAUs who used Facebook mobile products in December 2011.
- The substantial majority of our revenue is currently generated from third parties advertising on Facebook. In 2009, 2010, and 2011, advertising accounted for 98%, 95%, and 85%, respectively, of our revenue.
- Revenue in 2011 increased $1,737 million, or 88% compared to 2010. The increase was due primarily to a 69% increase in advertising revenue to $3,154 million. Advertising revenue grew due to a 42% increase in the number of ads delivered and an 18% increase in the average price per ad delivered.
- There were more than 100 billion friend connections on Facebook as of December 31, 2011.***
- Research and development expenses in 2011 increased $244 million, or 169%, compared to 2010.
- In 2011, Zynga accounted for approximately 12% of our revenue, which amount was comprised of revenue derived from payments processing fees related to Zynga’s sales of virtual goods and from direct advertising purchased by Zynga.
- Our users generated an average of 2.7 billion Likes and Comments per day during the three months ended December 31, 2011.
- On average more than 250 million photos per day were uploaded to Facebook in the three months ended December 31, 2011.
- We store more than 100 petabytes (100 quadrillion bytes) of photos and videos.
- Our employee headcount and the scope and complexity of our business have increased significantly, with the number of full-time employees increasing from 2,127 as of December 31, 2010, to 3,200 as of December 31, 2011.
- More than seven million apps and websites were integrated with Facebook as of December 31, 2011.
- As of December 31, 2011, we had 56 issued patents and 503 filed patent applications in the United States and 33 corresponding patents and 149 filed patent applications in foreign countries relating to social networking, web technologies and infrastructure, and related technologies. Our issued patents expire between May 2016 and June 2031.
- As of December 31, 2011, we leased office facilities around the world totaling approximately 1.9 million square feet, including one million square feet for our corporate headquarters in Menlo Park, California. We have data centers in the United States, including data center facilities that we own in North Carolina and Oregon and leased data center facilities in California and Virginia.
*** As noted in an article from The Verge, “…100 billion friend connections — over 14 times the number of humans on the face of the planet.”