"IFLA Open Access Taskforce Established"
From a Report on IFLA’s Web Site by Lars Bjørnshauge:
Following the endorsement of IFLA’s Statement on Open Access by the Governing Board, April 18th 2011—and the subsequent approval from the Governing Board during the WLIC in Puerto Rico August 2011 of a number of key initiatives—IFLA’s Open Access Taskforce has been established.
The taskforce will work on the following issues:
- Advocate for the adoption and promotion of open access policies as set out in IFLA’s Statement on Open Access within the framework of the United Nations institutions (UN, UNESCO, WHO, FAO);
- Build Capacity within the IFLA Membership to advocate for the adoption of open access policies at the national level, through the development of case studies and best practices for open access promotion;
- Furthermore the taskforce will connect to the various organizations working for Open Access – as indicated in the statement -such as SPARC (US/Europe/Japan), COAR, OASPA,EIFL, Bioline International & DOAJ, among others.
In cooperation with the IFLA Headquarters dedicated web pages will be created in order for the community to be able to follow and contribute to the work.
The taskforce has the following members:
- Lars Bjørnshauge (CHAIR), 1st Vice-President, Swedish Library Association
- Leslie Chan, Associate Director, Bioline International, University of Toronto at Scarborough
- Jan Hagerlid, Programme Co-ordinator of OpenAccess.se, National Library of Sweden
- Iryna Kuchma, EIFL.Net Open Access Manager, EIFL, Rome, Italy
- Rick Luce, Vice Provost and Director of Libraries, Emory University, USA
- Felipe Martinez, Director, University Center for Library Science Research, National Autonomous University of Mexico
- Bas Savenijie, Director, National Library of the Netherlands
- Xuemao Wang, Associate Vice-Provost, Emory University Libraries, Emory University, USA
- Qiang Zhu, Director, Peking University Library, Beijing, China
- Ann Okerson, Special Advisor on Electronic Strategies, Center for Research Libraries New Haven, CT, United States
- Derek Law, Professor, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Read the Complete Announcement
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.