From the OverDrive Digital Library Blog:
Many of OverDrive’s partner library sites contain a link to the Gutenberg titles currently being offered, and from this we are able to track what titles are most popular among the Gutenberg digital library. The list varies from the historically popular Bible to the controversially informative satire A Modest Proposal. There are timeless love stories, silly comedies and dark chronicles of folklore.
Most titles in the Gutenberg collection are free of copyrights in the United States, meaning they can not only be downloaded for reading, they can also be used for distribution, recreation and adaptation. Teachers can print and distribute excerpts for their classes; artists can perform the works in front of an audience; and titles can be transferred to audio or other formats. Each title provides licensing information when it is downloaded, so be sure to check the rights prior to utilizing the books for commercial benefit.
The complete list contains the Top 25 most downloaded titles. Here are the Top 5.
- The Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana by Vatsyayana (25732)
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (18298)
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (15090)
- The Best American Humorous Short Stories (13854)
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (12106)
Access the Complete List