Charles B. Lowry has announced that he will retire from his position as Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) at the end of December 2012. By announcing his retirement plans now, Lowry provides the ARL Board of Directors with time for a search and a seamless transition of leadership.
- gained three new members—University of Calgary, University of Ottawa, and the US National Archives and Records Administration;
- renewed its strategic plan twice;
- led the reshaping of the Library Copyright Alliance;
- navigated the difficult economic downturn that began in 2008;
- expanded ARL’s Public Policies capacity, a vital strategic direction; and
- conducted successful searches to replace three highly accomplished senior staff essential to the Association’s mission.