Recently Released: Canadian Feature Film Database
From Library and Archives Canada
The Canadian Feature Film Database is based on the printed Index (Canadian Feature Film Index) begun in 1972.
The Database based on the Index:
- compiles the principal credits of every Canadian feature film from 1913 to 2009
- establishes a list of Canadian feature films from published information up to 2009
- features currently over 4,300 films
The library plans to update the database with post-2009 films sometime in the future.
- Name (Actor Name, Director Name, Producer Name, Editor Name, etc.
- Original Dialogue (English, French, Silent)
Sample Entry: Atom Egoyan’s The Sweet Hereafter
What is a Canadian Film (For the Purposes of This Database)?
From the Database Help Page:
- a ‘Canadian’ film is any film in which a production company incorporated in Canada is involved
- official and unofficial co-productions with other countries have been included
- a ‘feature’ film is as any audio-visual document available on a film or magnetic support, irrespective of content, running more than 60 minutes
- exceptions include; some silent films whose true original running time is impossible to determine, a few theatrical features made between 1933 and 1937, and René Bail’s seminal work of 1959, Les Désoeuvrés
(Note: foreign capital investments, and or percentage of Canadian participation are not factored into the definition of a Canadian film)
See Also: Canadian Film Encyclopedia (via TIFF)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.