From Library and Archives Canada
The Canadian Feature Film Database is based on the printed Index (Canadian Feature Film Index) begun in 1972.
The Database based on the Index:
- compiles the principal credits of every Canadian feature film from 1913 to 2009
- establishes a list of Canadian feature films from published information up to 2009
- features currently over 4,300 films
The library plans to update the database with post-2009 films sometime in the future.
- Name (Actor Name, Director Name, Producer Name, Editor Name, etc.
- Original Dialogue (English, French, Silent)
Sample Entry: Atom Egoyan’s The Sweet Hereafter
What is a Canadian Film (For the Purposes of This Database)?
From the Database Help Page:
- a ‘Canadian’ film is any film in which a production company incorporated in Canada is involved
- official and unofficial co-productions with other countries have been included
- a ‘feature’ film is as any audio-visual document available on a film or magnetic support, irrespective of content, running more than 60 minutes
- exceptions include; some silent films whose true original running time is impossible to determine, a few theatrical features made between 1933 and 1937, and René Bail’s seminal work of 1959, Les Désoeuvrés
(Note: foreign capital investments, and or percentage of Canadian participation are not factored into the definition of a Canadian film)
See Also: Canadian Film Encyclopedia (via TIFF)