Colorado Independent Publishers Association (CIPA) and the Douglas County Libraries (DCL) announce the May 18, 2011 signing of their historic agreement.
Key features of that agreement include:
- CIPA agrees to facilitate the sale (not the rental) of ebooks to the library for checkout through the library. That is, the library owns and manages the files on its own servers.
- DCL agrees to buy one copy for each simultaneous use of a title.
- CIPA will encourage its members sell books to the library at the lowest retail rate.
- DCL agrees to catalog and attach Digital Rights Management to each uploaded title.
- CIPA will offer their finest selections – including their Evvy Award winners – for this agreement.
- DCL agrees not to resell or transfer the files purchased under this agreement.
- CIPA members agree to sell their books to library patrons at the same price as paid by the library.
- DCL agrees to offer a link to the purchase of CIPA member titles through the catalog.
From ALA: Colorado Library Signs Agreement With Independent Publishers
Filed by May 22, 2011on