A Hello to the World Digital Library on Twitter!
If you’re unfamiliar with the WDL here are a few fast facts and links:
- Here’s Dr. Billington’s speech from June, 2005 at Georgetown University where a World Digital Library is first publicly proposed.
- On November 22, 2005 the project is launched. At the same time Google becomes the WDL’s first private-sector financial contributor donating $3 million dollars. Here’s a list of financial contributors (as of today).
- 119 members (Primarily Libraries and Archives)
- A Few of the WDL’s 119 Members Include LC, NARA, Smithsonian Institution, British Library, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, The Royal Library (Denmark), and, Russian State Library
- Database Provides Access to 1575 Items (Additions are Made Regularly)
See Also: World Digital Library FAQ