The New York Public Library Releases First in a Series of Free iPad Apps
“Biblion: The Boundless Library” is the name for a series of apps available on Apple’s tablet computer that highlight different elements in the library’s collection. It was developed by the library and the design firm Potion.
The first edition showcases the library’s 1939-1940 New York World’s fair holdings, which are among the most consulted by researchers. Users will be able to turn over, zoom in and roam through hundreds of items.
Here’s more about today’s release from the iTunes App Store:
- read original essays from such prominent writers as Karen Abbott, William Grimes, Henry Jenkins, Elliott Kalan, James Mauro, and others
- view General Motors’ famous Futurama ride, in full color, from the original carousel!
- explore the development of the Fair’s designs, uniforms, buildings, and exhibits, including Salvador Dalí’s then-shocking Dream of Venus extravaganza
- relish the outrageous restaurant ideas that never made the cut
- learn about the fate of the Czechoslovakia Pavilion after the country was invaded by Hitler
- discover what was buried inside the Westinghouse Time Capsule … not to be opened until the year 6939!
- fly from story to story, charting your own journey through the stacks…
Direct to Biblion iPad App in the App Store.
Biblion is a free app.
Additional info about Biblion: The Boundless Library Info Page
Coming this Summer:
Look for another app coming soon called “NYPL” to access and manage your account and catalog information.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.