New Report from OCLC Research: "Rapid Capture: Faster Throughput in Digitization of Special Collections"
Title: “Rapid Capture: Faster Throughput in Digitization of Special Collections”
Author: Ricky Erway, Senior Program Officer OCLC Research
This report provides examples of how to simplify and streamline digital capture of non-book collections.
Nine case studies illustrate processes and procedures institutions have adopted to speed up digitization of special collections. The intent in sharing these vignettes is to enable others to consider whether or not any of the approaches could be applied to their own initiatives to increase the scale of their digitization efforts.
Those featured in the case studies include:
- Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
- Archives of Traditional Music, Indiana University
- Prints & Photographs Division, Library of Congress
- Digital Collection Unit, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley
- Southern Regional Library Facility, University of California, Los Angeles
- Archives and Special Collections, University of Minnesota
- University Archives, University of Minnesota
- Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina, and
- Department of Manuscripts and Rare Books, The Walters Art Museum
This report is the latest in a series of OCLC Research reports about how to increase access to special collections that have resulted from our work under the thematic focus of Mobilizing Unique Materials.
Hat Tip and Thanks: @merrileeiam
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.