New from Yahoo and Via the Yahoo Search Box: Search Direct (Beta)
Note: Search Direct (Beta) from Yahoo is Available Using the Search.yahoo.com Interface and Yahoo Search Results Pages that Begin at Search.yahoo.com.
From the News Release:
Search Direct predicts search results as fast as a person types, character by character, and presents those results dynamically, generating a fast, simple search experience that goes beyond a list of blue links. Search Direct rolls out in a public beta to Yahoo! users across the U.S. today, and will be available in other Yahoo! products and markets later this year.
“With today’s launch, direct answers – not the search results page – is the primary focus. We are redefining the search process and prominently displaying direct answers where search decisions are being made,” said Shashi Seth, senior vice president, Yahoo! Search and Marketplaces. “Search Direct is evidence of Yahoo! continuing to lead innovation in search, enabling people to take action faster, find what is most important, and sample what is possible with the next stage of search technology.”
Types of Searches that Can Trigger a Search Direct Result
- Trending Searches – The moment the cursor hits the search box, top search trends appear and are updated every 10 minutes to display the latest and greatest search trends.
- Search Previews – Search Direct predicts the search term as you type, providing the 10 most likely searches. You can then easily scan each option to see the related top results and find the best match for your needs.
- Direct Answers – For many common searches, Search Direct provides instant answers before you click the Search button. Find an address or phone number, a three-day weather forecast, financial stock performance, the top trending stories at Yahoo! News, or when and where a movie is playing – all without going to a results page.
- Direct Results – When you scan the search options and find the site you need, Search Direct provides exactly that – direct access to the site. No more overwhelming pages of links.
- Rich Content – For all top searches about sports, top news stories, and finance, Search Direct displays rich content that only the world’s largest digital media company can provide. For example, type “n” to get the Yahoo! News display, which always shows the top two trending stories.
Screenshots of Yahoo Search Direct in Action
Note: Search Direct (Beta) from Yahoo is Available Using the Search.yahoo.com Interface and
Yahoo Search Results Pages that Begin at Search.yahoo.com
Coming to Yahoo.com in a few weeks.
See Also: “Yahoo Reveals Secrets Of “Search Direct” Algorithm (by Greg Sterling, Search Engine Land)
See Also: “Yahoo Search Direct Takes On Google Instant By Providing Answers In The Search Box” (by Greg Sterling, Search Engine Land)
…this product is running a separate index (a “significantly smaller index” culled from the Microsoft index) and a separate algorithm. Everything is on Yahoo’s servers today.
Yahoo’s “real-time index,” which is being updated every 5-10 minutes.
Search Direct is operating in 15 main categories but will expand to “hundreds.”
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.