Scribd’s ebook subscription service featuring 100,000+ titles including thousands of bestsellers and new releases, today announced it has signed a deal with Smashwords, the world’s largest distributor of independent e-books, to make available Smashwords titles on Scribd. Smashwords brings Scribd a catalog of over 225,000 e-books from 70,000 authors and publishers.
Note: Today’s News Follows a September 5, 2013 Announcement From Smashwords and Oyster (another “All You Can Read” eBook Subscription Service)
At that time Oyster added 100,000 Smashword titles to their service.
There are two components to the Scribd agreement with Smashwords.
Smashwords will supply books to Scribd’s new e-book subscription service, where for $8.99 per month subscribers can enjoy unlimited reading. Additionally, Smashwords e-books will also be available for individual sale to Scribd customers.
As part of its commitment to Smashwords, Scribd is offering the following special marketing initiatives and tools to help Smashwords authors that will drive significant value to indie authors:
- Smashwords’and other indie books will be featured throughout Scribd’s curated book merchandising, including on its homepage in its new ScribdSelects merchandising feature
- Smashwords authors will each have a profile page, which authors can use to promote their own books and the books they like reading
- Scribd will help Smashwords authors get to know their readership with a custom data dashboard
- Each Smashwords author will receive a one-year subscription to Scribd’s new subscription service so they can engage with Scribd as a reader in addition to as an author
- Scribd will feature Smashwords authors on its blog and social media channels