Springshare has details on their support blog.
The blog posts makes it clear that all of the new features are opt-in and customers can, “decide the right time for your site to move to the new system.” They add, “you take however long you need to plan and execute the move.”
Here are a few of many new features that we learned about when reviewing the blog post.
- More layout options – no more 1-2-3 column restrictions.
- Easily customizable CSS tabs (no longer image based!).
- Streamlined admin menu that follows you around whether you’re on your Dashboard or editing a guide.
- 20 different box types making things confusing? Not anymore – we’re down to 3 box types (general, tabbed box, and lightbox).
- Did you ever want your boxes to span columns? C’mon, you know you did…we know you did…and with the new LibGuides, you can!Admin
- Centralized asset management (links, documents, embedded content, etc.): view, manage, edit, reuse…all in one place.
- An automatically generated A-Z subscription database link guide. Say whaaat? Yup, the A-Z guide is a standard part of LibGuides now and is automatically generated to boot! You specify which items should be on the A-Z guide, associate subjects, and voilà: an A-Z guide that is a joy to use and maintain.
- Redesigned API – anything stored in LibGuides will be accessible via API, so you can reuse that content anywhere else. LibGuides becomes your content store for your assets and tracks their cumulative use; you distribute them anywhere and everywhere…in or outside of your LibGuides site.Redesigned Search
- Customized search term weighting.
- Faceted search options.
More in the Complete Springshare Support Blog Post, “LibGuides: The Next Generation!”