Here are a few highlights from the HathiTrust 2012 Year in Review.
- 2012 brought to a close the initial 5-year charter period that HathiTrust was granted by its founding institutions.
- A significant legal victory and affirmation of Fair Use in the case of Authors Guild v. HathiTrust
- Repository currently contains 10.6 million volumes, about 31% are in public domain.
- HathiTrust grew from 66 to 78 partner institutions in 2012.
- HathiTrust partners contributed 623,613 volumes to the repository in 2012. 566,044 of these are in the public domain. The University of Florida and Boston College were new contributors in 2012.
- HathiTrust completed the first phase of improvements to enhance the accessibility of HathiTrust Web applications. With a few minor exceptions that will be addressed in the second phase, HathiTrust interfaces are now compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level A.
- HathiTrust accepted and released a new policy on bibliographic corrections
- Introduction of advanced searching options, including support for complex Boolean searches.
- Significant work was undertaken to improve the relevancy ranking of search results in general, and to introduce a spelling suggestion feature for search queries.