The following roundup is a keeper for your collection of reference resources and also one to share.
Like they’ve done for the past four years, Royal Pingdom has posted an extensive roundup with statistics about Internet usage during 2012. It includes several charts.
Each item is linked directly to the source post where the data was published.
The collection of statistics is organized into the following categories:
- Web Pages, Websites, and Web Hosting
- Web Servers
- Domain Names
- Internet Users
- Social Media
- Web Browsers
Here’s One Item (of Many) From 1o of the Categories:
- 144 billion – Total email traffic per day worldwide.
- 75% – Share of the top 10,000 websites that are served by open source software.
- 32.4% – Growth in the number of IIS websites in 2012.
- 100 million – Number of .com domain names at the end of 2012.
- 2.4 billion – Number of Internet users worldwide.
- 37.3 years – Average age of a Twitter user.
- 1.2 trillion – Number of searches on Google in 2012.
- 31% – Percentage of the U.S. Internet population that used a tablet or e-reader.
- 4 billion – Number of hours of video we watched on YouTube per month.
- 7 petabytes – How much photo content Facebook added every month.
Direct to Complete Internet in Numbers 2012
See Also: Past Editions of The Internet In Numbers