Direct to Full Text: Moving Towards an Open Access Future: The Role of Academic Libraries (19 pages; PDF)
Overview Article from STM Publishing:
In April, leading independent academic and professional publisher SAGE convened a roundtable in association with the British Library into the role of the academic library in an open access (OA) future. Chaired by publishing consultant Simon Inger and attended by an international panel of 14 senior librarians and other industry experts, the conclusions of this discussion have today been published in a report, “Moving towards an open access future: the role of academic libraries”.
Key discussions include:
- Addressing the culture of mistrust and misunderstanding regarding OA amongst researchers
- The varying uptake of OA and the subsequent impacts
- The key roles that librarians will play in:
- Sharing discovery and support services amongst libraries and institutions
- Managing services such as institutional repositories
- Providing licensing and related advice to researchers
- Supporting preservation and managing metadata and recognising the importance of recommender services
- Explaining open access to researchers.
Direct to Full Text Report (19 pages; PDF)