October 5, 2015

Article: The U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) eBook Program

The following article appears in the June 2012 Issue (2.6) of FDLP Directions (Federal Depository Library Program).


The U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) eBook Program


Jeff Turner, Director of Sales & Marketing, Business Products & Services, U.S. Government Printing Office

From the Article

Wherever possible, GPO eBook services are offered to Federal agencies as an “and” solution alongside print, rather than as an “or” solution. Even though eBooks and eMagazines are growing rapidly in popularity, they represent less than 20% of the reading universe. The remaining 80% is primarily print.

Discoverability is a concern. After converting their content to digital formats, many Federal agencies tend to simply upload it to their Web sites without making it easy for the public to find.

To help get eBook and eMagazine content out to places where readers often search for it, GPO uses a number of channels for disseminating Federal digital content on a cost-recovery basis. They include:

  • Google eBooks (Recently renamed Google Play).
  • Barnes and Noble.com.
  • The Apple iBook Store.
  • Overdrive – Public Libraries.
  • Ingram MyiLibrary – Academic Libraries.
  • Ingram Digital Distribution – Small Online Retailers.
  • Zinio – eMagazines.

Direct to Full Text

Gary Price About Gary Price

Gary Price (gprice@mediasourceinc.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. Before launching INFOdocket, Price and Shirl Kennedy were the founders and senior editors at ResourceShelf and DocuTicker for 10 years. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com, and is currently a contributing editor at Search Engine Land.

Craft Exceptional Digital Experiences for Your Users
Digital UX LJ and ER&L present an exceptional roster of library and user experience (UX) experts for our newest online course, Digital UX Workshop: Crafting Exceptional Digital Experiences for the User-Centered Library. During this 5-week online workshop, you will explore why UX matters, and how to sell user-centered design (UCD) to leadership within your organization. Whether you want to redesign your website, revamp your user interface, create a new discovery tool, implement e-resources, or develop a mobile app—you’ll have a tangible product by the end of the course.