From the RoRI Launch Announcement:
We’re thrilled to announce the launch of the Research on Research Institute (RoRI) – an international consortium of research funders, academic institutions, and technologists working to champion the latest approaches to research on research.
Co-founded by the Wellcome Trust, the universities of Sheffield and Leiden, and Digital Science, the RoRI consortium will undertake transformative and translational research on research (also known as meta-research, science of science or meta-science). By analysing research systems and experimenting with decision and evaluation data, tools and frameworks, we aim to advance more strategic, open, diverse and inclusive research.
In support of its overall vision for transformative and translational research on research, RoRI has five objectives:
- To support, expand and build capacity for interdisciplinary, mixed-methods research on research (RoR) in the UK and internationally;
- To connect academic capabilities to the data and analytical resources of Wellcome, Digital Science and RoRI’s wider consortium of strategic partners;
- To co-design, experiment and apply new tools, indicators, funding modes, prioritisation and evaluation frameworks;
- To critically evaluate RoR methods and support engagement with data and evidence about research systems by decision makers and society;
- To create an independent space for learning, networking and collaboration between researchers, policymakers, funders & technologists.
RoRI will be based for an initial two-year incubation phase at Wellcome’s offices in London.
To date, eleven strategic partners have expressed their interest in becoming part of the RoRI consortium, including private foundations, academic research institutions, and public funding agencies from eight countries – Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, India, Netherlands, Switzerland, and the USA – and one pan-African partner, the African Academy of Sciences.
The following have expressed their interest in becoming part of the RoRI consortium; Austrian Science Fund; a consortium of Canadian funders including British Columbia’s Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research and Canadian Institutes of Health Research; Dutch Research Council (NWO); Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI); Novo Nordisk Foundation; Alfred P. Sloan Foundation; Swiss National Science Foundation; Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance; and Volkswagen Foundation. Over the coming months, RoRI hopes to expand the consortium to include additional funders, publishers, and learned and professional societies as partners.
See Also: RoRI Reports
See Also: Research Funding Landscape Tool
See Also: Health Research Funding Landscape Tool