From the Annual Plan:
Our traffic, community, use, and influence belie the lean nature of the organization. In the year to come, we will invest in the underlying systems and structures that quantify and sustain our projects, with the purpose of preparing ourselves for future work in support of our mission.
This could include processes and norms internal to the Foundation, metrics that measure progress towards our strategic objectives, systems and structures that govern and support our movement, as well as the platforms and architecture that underlie our projects.
To achieve this goal, we will:
- Modernize our technology infrastructure, including our applications stack, services, and production platform; advance privacy and security-related systems; and invest in development of Wikibase and Wikidata.
- Increase support for the global Wikimedia community by rethinking and improving our community grantmaking, leadership development, and tools to make contributors’ work easier and more productive
- Grow the Wikimedia Endowment to ensure the long-term health of the movement
- Live our values by supporting diversity and inclusion, staff development, and operational excellence across our organization, and including environmental sustainability in our decision-making processes
We will know we’re successful when:
- Our technological infrastructure is robust, flexible, sustainable, and secure, and can meet our needs for the future
- We are able to serve 95% of our services out of more than one data center
- We see a 20% increase of services adopting the modernized metrics stack
- 100% of services involved in page views are using centralized logging
- We have made progress in the journey to unify our core software assets by converging MediaWiki with our Node.js services
- We are able to quickly iterate high-quality end-user experiences and measure success by running product experiments twice monthly
- Use of Wikidata increases by 15%, reaching 386 million data uses by the end of the 2018 calendar year
- We invest community resources according to a targeted set of funding priorities aligned with the strategic direction
- We have a 3% increase in overall engagement of Wikimedia Foundation staff
- We have grown the Wikimedia Endowment by USD 5 million and deepened our relationships with major donors