Expansion! Springer Nature’s “SharedIt” Free Content Sharing Initiative Now Available With Over 2,300 Journals
From Springer Nature:
Springer Nature is delighted to announce that it has rolled out its free content sharing initiative, now named SharedIt, to all of the Springer Nature-owned portfolio and over one thousand additional co-owned and partner-owned journals. This now encompasses over 2,300 journals and enables authors and subscribers to post links to free-to-read versions of primary research articles anywhere, including social media platforms, repositories, websites, scholarly collaborative networks and via emails. It follows a successful trial and roll out of the initiative for research articles in Nature-branded journals which has resulted in over 2.2 million additional article views since its launch in December 2014.
SharedIt also facilitates the sharing of research to these wider communities by enabling over 200 key media outlets and blogs to link to free-to-read versions of research articles. This media list has been significantly expanded to coincide with the expansion of the initiative across the Springer Nature portfolio. Many on this media list are aimed at the public, including the BBC, The Economist, WIRED and The New York Times, and the list also includes many leading science bloggers. Springer Nature is now extending this feature to the non-profit program PatientINFORM, to allow visitors to the websites of the participating patient advocacy organisations, such as the American Cancer Society and National Breast Cancer Coalition, to click through to free-to-read versions of relevant research articles.
results of the first twelve months were released in December 2015.
The technology that enables the SharedIt functionality is provided by ReadCube.
How it Works
- Springer Nature provides its authors and readers with shareable links to view-only versions of peer-reviewed research papers
- Reasonable sharing is encouraged for non-commercial, personal use
- SharedIt, which launched for a year-long trial period in December 2014 and resulted in over 1.3m additional article accesses during that period, is now being made available for the whole of Springer Nature’s owned journal portfolio, along with 1,000 co-owned and partner-owned journals
- The shareable links can be posted anywhere, including via social channels and on other highly-used sites, institutional repositories and authors’ own websites, as well as on scholarly collaborative networks
- For open-access articles, all readers will be able to download, print and save an enhanced PDF, or to view the full-text HTML version
- For subscription articles, subscribers will be able to download, print and save an enhanced PDF, or to view the full-text HTML version.
- Springer Nature Extending Content Sharing to Whole Springer Nature-Owned Journal Portfolio (March 22, 2016)
- Nature Publishing Group (NPG) and ReadCube Release Preliminary Results of Scientific Article Sharing Trial (December 10, 2015)
- Two Initiatives Announced to Make Articles on Nature.com More Widely Available to Read, Share (December 2, 2014)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.