Reference Collection: Updated Data/Report: ATF Releases 2016 Report on Firearm Commerce in the United States
New data/report released today by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF):
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has released the 2016 Annual Statistical Update of Firearm Commerce in the United States.
Through a series of easy to read tables and charts, the Annual Statistical Update presents data drawn from a number of ATF reports and records in one comprehensive document. The report also provides comparative data from as far back as 1975 for context, analyses of trends over the years, and a fuller picture of the state of firearm commerce in the United States today.
A few examples of data available in the Update:
• The number of firearms manufactured in the U.S. from 1986 through 2014 (the last year for which data is available), with a breakdown by types of firearms.
Rifles were the most manufactured firearm in the United States in all but 10 of the last 29 years, with pistols taking the top spot in 1990-1994, and 2010-2014.
• The number of firearms imported into the United States from 1986-2015, with a breakdown by type, as well as country of manufacture.
Handguns were the most imported firearm in all but six of the last 30 years; Austria was the No. 1 country of manufacture for firearms imported into the United States in 2015.
• The number of firearms exported from the United States, by type, from 1986-2014 (the last year for which data is available).
The number of firearms exported annually ranges from a high of 431,204 in 1993, to a low of 139,920 in 2004. In 2014, the United States exported 420,932 firearms.
• The number of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) by state, 1975-2015, as well as FFL actions and compliance data.
Last year, 139,840 FFLs were operating throughout the United States, with Texas (10,910), California (8,261), and Florida (7,507) home to the highest number of FFLs.
• The number of National Firearms Act (NFA) registered firearms as of March 2014, with types and a breakdown by state, as well as details regarding NFA revenues and numbers processed from 1984-2013.
In 2015, ATF processed 1,545,847 NFA-related firearms
Direct to Full Text Report: Firearms Commerce in the United States: Annual Statistical Update 2016 (22 pages; PDF)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. Before launching INFOdocket, Price and Shirl Kennedy were the founders and senior editors at ResourceShelf and DocuTicker for 10 years. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com, and is currently a contributing editor at Search Engine Land.