About 200,000 Rijksmuseum Works of Art Now Viewable Online via Google Arts & Culture
From the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam:
The masterpieces in the Rijksmuseum can be found on Google Arts & Culture, the Google Cultural Institute’s website (also available as an app for Android and iOS).
The digital collection contains some 200,000 objects. This has made the Rijksmuseum the best represented museum in the Google Cultural Institute. A thousand international institutions are affiliated to the Google Cultural Institute. The website reaches more than forty million people each year. The Rijksmuseum’s own website attracts six million visitors annually.
Everyone can wander through all the aisles of the nineteenth-century building with Google Street View and look at the renovated interior. With a smartphone and Google Cardboard the Rijksmuseum can be brought to life in Virtual Reality. Coinciding with the recording of the digital collection in Google, five new digital exhibitions are being opened.
- Jan Steen, a born storyteller, shows how he incorporated many different themes in his paintings
- The Night Watch examines the individual details of this iconic work of art
- Johannes Vermeer: details of his masterpieces unveiled
- Rembrandt van Rijn: an overview
- Johannes Lutma: a Dutch goldsmith
- Vermeer is particularly well represented in Google Arts & Culture with thirty-five masterpieces in total, including the four that hang in the Rijksmuseum.
Filed under: News
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.