Three Major Open Access Repository Networks Commit to Collaborate On Data Exchange, Technological Development, and Metadata
From a Joint Announcement:
On July 9 and 10, three major regional open access repository networks and aggregators (OpenAire, LA Referencia, and SHARE), along with the Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR) and Center for Open Science (COS) met in Charlottesville, Virginia to discuss synergies and potential areas of collaboration.
The meeting was very productive and revealed that the objectives, technologies and use cases for all three networks are highly aligned and that there is a strong willingness to work together.
- In particular, a number of specific areas were identified in which the networks commit to collaborate on:
- Common metadata and vocabularies: Work towards consensus about key metadata elements and common vocabularies to express funders and institutional affiliations, open access status, and project IDs. This will contribute to the COAR-CASRAI work already underway aimed at developing common metadata elements and will support repository managers in better exposing their collections.
- Regular data exchange: Exchange data and develop agreements around jurisdictional harvesting and aggregation leading to greater coverage and efficiencies across regions.
- Common technological services: Assess the feasibility of adopting common broker/router technologies and other services.
- Ongoing dialogue: Meet regularly to share approaches and perspectives about technical and strategic challenges.
- Over the next several weeks, the groups will develop a more detailed plan for achieving specific outcomes.
List of Meeting Participants
- Erin Braswell, Developer, Center for Open Science
- Alberto Cabezas, Executive Secretary, LA Referencia
- Fabian von Feilitzsch, Developer, Center for Open Science
- Paolo Manghi, OpenAIRE Technical Director
- Natalia Manola, OpenAIRE Director
- Lautaro Matas, IT Manager, LA Referencia
- Brian Nosek, Co-founder, Executive Director, Center for Open Science
- Judy Ruttenberg, Program Director, Association of Research Libraries and SHARE Project Manager
- Andrew Sallans, Partnerships, Collaborations, & Funding Manager, Center for Open Science
- Kathleen Shearer, Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories
- Jeff Spies, Co-founder, Chief Technology Officer, Center for Open Science
- Tyler Walters, Dean, University Libraries, Virginia Tech and Director, SHARE
Direct to Complete Announcement
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.