New Survey Finds Increasing Experimentation by Publishers and Libraries With Open Access Books
From Publishers Communication Group (PCG):
Publishers and libraries are increasingly experimenting with Open Access (OA) books, according to a new survey by industry advisors, Publishers Communication Group (PCG). Books published under the so-called “author-pays,” Gold Open Access model with no paywall for readers are expected to slowly grow in importance, with funding derived from a variety of sources including library budgets, the study reported.
Following on from PCG’s 2014 survey into library adoption and funding of OA journals, the Open Access Monographs Survey sought input from both publishers who are active in and considering OA book programs, and librarians around the world who contend with new institutional OA mandates and emerging acquisition models.
Among the key library findings are that within the 57% of institutions currently cataloguing OA books, 81% use established criteria in making selection decisions, including relevance to curriculum (68%), faculty request (67%), authorship within the institution (51%) and listing in the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB, 33%). Known funding sources for OA author fees were identified variously as outside grants (26%), the authors themselves (23%), academic departments (21%) and library funds (15%).
Of library funds supporting OA book publishing, 53% are taken from the existing materials budget, according to respondents. On average, library OA funds are divided 26% toward book publishing with the remaining 74% covering article processing charges for OA journals.
The third of publishers stating that they publish OA monographs reported that such works currently account for less than 5% of their book collections, but 44% of them felt that the program was growing, albeit modestly. About 30% of those not yet publishing OA books felt that it is somewhat or very likely that their organization would begin doing so within the next five years.
Librarians and publishers perceive the benefits of the OA books movement differently. While 20% of libraries report participation in OA funding initiatives such as Knowledge Unlatched, and many librarians feel they should advocate for OA publishing within their institutions, diversion of existing funds remains an issue. Publishers, meanwhile, fear unrealistic funding expectations in the academic community, the resemblance to vanity publishing, and the inevitability of institutional mandates.
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.