Thomson Reuters Releases Q1 2015 Quarterly Earnings Report
From the Earnings Announcement:
Thomson Reuters today reported results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015. The company also re-affirmed its full-year 2015 outlook.
- Reported revenues were down 3% as the negative impact of foreign currency reduced revenues by 5%
- Revenues grew 2% before currency
- Organic revenues grew 1%
- Legal’s organic revenues increased 3%
- Financial & Risk’s organic revenues were unchanged
Specific to IP and Science Division of Company
- Revenues were flat as subscription revenue (79% of the segment’s revenues) growth of 3% was offset by an 11% decline in transactions-related revenues as the first quarter of 2014 had certain large one-time sales to Government and Academic customers which did not repeat in the first quarter of 2015.
- EBITDA decreased 17% with a margin of 25.3% compared to 29.6% in the prior-year period. The EBITDA margin decline was due to a lower margin revenue mix and some non-recurring expenditures.
- Operating profit decreased 25% with a margin of 16.0% compared to 21.0% in the prior-year period. The operating profit margin decrease was due to the same items that impacted the EBITDA margin.
- Small movements in the timing of revenues and expenses can impact margins in any given quarter for the Intellectual Property & Science business. Full-year margins are more reflective of the segment’s underlying performance.
Filed under: Academic Libraries
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.