The 2015 Major League Baseball season begins today and to celebrate here are two reference resources that you might want to know about.
A. Treasure Chest of Current Baseball Statistics and Facts For All Major League Teams, Available for All Teams and For Each Game
Before EVERY major league game the media/pr staff of EVERY team prepare “Game Notes.”
These documents run several pages and are filled with current stats and loads of facts about the team and its players. These notes were once only available to members of the press. Now, if you know where to find them, they’re freely and easily accessible.
1. Head to this Page (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/presspass/gamenotes.jsp)
2. Select a team. Scroll the team(s) you want to grab Game Notes for.
Example: Washington Nationals and then look for the Game Notes link.
Btw, you can bookmark this page for the team(s) you follow.
4. Select a date and click. A PDF will open. Games notes are usually available several hours before the first pitch.
5. Here are the Games Notes for Today’s New York Mets vs. Washington Nationals game.
B. Baseball History: A Free Ebook From the National Archives released in 2013
“Baseball: The National Pastime in the National Archives” tells the story of baseball in America through documents, photographs, audio, video, and other records preserved at the National Archives.
It covers the two world wars, contract disputes, civil rights, equal access and opportunity on and off the playing field, the steroids era, the universal appeal of the game, Presidential involvement, improvements to the sport, Little League, Spring Training, Opening Day, and celebrations along the way.
The eBook features notable players including Roberto Clemente, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Casey Stengel, Andrew Rube Foster, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Joe DiMaggio, Pee Wee Reese, Jackie Robinson, Curt Flood, Joe Tinker, and Hank Aaron.
Major League teams covered include the Pittsburgh Pirates, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs, Brooklyn Dodgers, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Senators, Texas Rangers, Cincinnati Reds, New York Yankees, and New York Giants.
Two Versions of the Book Are Available, Free:
- The interactive Multi-Touch book for iPad is available for download on your computer with iTunes, or on your iPad with iBooks.
- For iPhone, Android, and eReaders, download the ePub file (53.6MB File)
Direct to NARA eBooks Page
Second Item Reposted from infoDOCKET April 2013.