We’re pleased to announce that EPUB 3 is Wiley’s standard for e-books in reflowable format as of February 1, 2014. Wiley delivers e-books in the EPUB 3 format to all of its distribution partners and retail accounts, including Amazon and Apple iBooks, and is among the first publishers to distribute all of its professional and STEM books in EPUB 3.
So what does this mean for you, the reader? The EPUB 3 standard is highly adaptable and combines digital publishing with HTML5 and other features of Open Web Platform which will allow you a richer reading experience. Wiley’s specification is also
In addition to the standard features of reflowable eBooks, Wiley EPUB 3 e-books feature:
- Tables that adapt to screen size, and are accessible to readers who may rely on read-aloud functionality.
- Mapping to print edition pages, to enable side-by-side e-book and print-book use, with reading systems that support page display driven by EPUB 3, such as iBooks.
- Increased Accessibility through semantic structuring
- Audio and video in select titles
With EPUB 3 as the foundation, we can soon offer enhanced features as e-reader systems and device support expands. Examples are
- Interactivity such as multiple choice questions
- Dynamic resizing of images without loss of clarity or definition
- Support for multi-column layout and right-to-left reading, among other presentational alternatives
- Reflowable math that supports search and read-aloud functionality
- Embedded descriptions of images that make photographs, drawings, and charts accessible for read-aloud and other assistive technologies
Read the Complete Blog Post