Scribd Signs Deal With Smashwords, Will Provide Access to 225,000 eBooks By Independent Authors
Scribd’s ebook subscription service featuring 100,000+ titles including thousands of bestsellers and new releases, today announced it has signed a deal with Smashwords, the world’s largest distributor of independent e-books, to make available Smashwords titles on Scribd. Smashwords brings Scribd a catalog of over 225,000 e-books from 70,000 authors and publishers.
Note: Today’s News Follows a September 5, 2013 Announcement From Smashwords and Oyster (another “All You Can Read” eBook Subscription Service)
At that time Oyster added 100,000 Smashword titles to their service.
There are two components to the Scribd agreement with Smashwords.
Smashwords will supply books to Scribd’s new e-book subscription service, where for $8.99 per month subscribers can enjoy unlimited reading. Additionally, Smashwords e-books will also be available for individual sale to Scribd customers.
As part of its commitment to Smashwords, Scribd is offering the following special marketing initiatives and tools to help Smashwords authors that will drive significant value to indie authors:
- Smashwords’and other indie books will be featured throughout Scribd’s curated book merchandising, including on its homepage in its new ScribdSelects merchandising feature
- Smashwords authors will each have a profile page, which authors can use to promote their own books and the books they like reading
- Scribd will help Smashwords authors get to know their readership with a custom data dashboard
- Each Smashwords author will receive a one-year subscription to Scribd’s new subscription service so they can engage with Scribd as a reader in addition to as an author
- Scribd will feature Smashwords authors on its blog and social media channels
See Also: Scribd’s Recently Launched “All-You-Can-Read” Ebook Subscription Service Now Provides Access to More Than 100,000 Titles (November 19, 2013)
See Also: Another Player: Scribd’s “All You Can Read” Subscription-Based Ebook Service Launches With Titles from HarperCollins (October 1, 2013)
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com. Gary is also the co-founder of infoDJ an innovation research consultancy supporting corporate product and business model teams with just-in-time fact and insight finding.