Mark Matienzo Named Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) Director of Technology
Congratulations to Mark Matienzo. He will begin work at DPLA on December 6th.
As Director of Technology, Matienzo will be responsible for the overall technology vision for the DPLA, planning and mapping the future of the
recently launched non-profit organization alongside the growing DPLA staff. Matienzo will orchestrate the design, implementation, and improvement of the DPLA’s digital infrastructure, including user-facing applications, back-end systems, and the application programming interface (API). Matienzo will serve as the primary technical contact for outside organizations, partners, and developers.
Matienzo will spearhead the construction and management of an in-house technical staff for the DPLA, open positions for which are now available on the DPLA site. Applications for two positions will be reviewed beginning on December 1, 2013, and will be accepted until the positions are filled.
“We’re delighted to have someone of Mark’s great talent and energy join the DPLA as our Director of Technology,” said Dan Cohen, DPLA Executive Director. “His broad and deep knowledge of all of the digital infrastructure needed for our mission, and his ability to connect to other software developers and the library, archives, and museum communities will be critical to our growth in the coming years.”
Matienzo’s Work Experience
- Currently Digital Archivist for Manuscripts and Archives at the Yale University Library and as the Technical Architect for
the ArchivesSpace Project
- Has Taught at Drexel U. and Long Island University’s Palmer School of Library and Information Science
- In 2012, First awardee of the Emerging Leader Award of the Society of American Archivists
- Worked for the Digital Experience Group at The New York Public Library, American Institute of Physics, the Smithsonian Institution, and ProQuest
- Education/Degree: MSI specializing in Archives and Records Management from the University of Michigan School of Information
- Education/Degree: BA in Philosophy from the College of Wooster
Read the Complete Announcement from DPLA
See Also: Matienzo Tweets at @anarchivist
See Also: Publications and Presentations by Mark Matienzo
See Also: Matienzo’s Complete Resume (via MarkMatienzo.org)
See Also: Mark Matienzo’s 2009 SAA Presentation: “Online Presence and Participation”
About Gary Price
Gary Price (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. He earned his MLIS degree from Wayne State University in Detroit. Price has won several awards including the SLA Innovations in Technology Award and Alumnus of the Year from the Wayne St. University Library and Information Science Program. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com.