Health Information: Wiley Joins patientACCESS, New Program Offers Low-Cost Access to Health and Medical Articles from Six STM Publishers
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., has announced it will join patientACCESS, a new program which offers low-cost access to medical and scientific research articles to patients and caregivers. From September 2013, 310 Wiley journals will join the international collaboration between publishers, the Association of American Publishers, Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division (PSP), The International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers (STM), and the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC).
Six publishers are participating in the launch phase of patientACCESS. In addition to Wiley they are the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), Elsevier, SAGE, and Wolters Kluwer Health. Technological support is coming from the CCC.
How Much Do Articles Cost?
Patients and caregivers will be able to access relevant research papers via RightsLink, CCC’s point-of-content licensing program. Papers will be emailed to requestors within 24 hours, following a one-time registration step to verify their status as a patient or caregiver. Wiley will offer papers from the selected journals without charge, while CCC will levy an administrative fee of $3.50 for processing and delivering the paper.
patientACCESS is intended for the personal use of patients and their caregivers only. Scholarly research papers available via patientACCESS are copyrighted material and must be used in accordance with all U.S. copyright laws. By accepting the terms and conditions of this service, and continuing to access this site, users agree to refrain from the following without the express, written permission of the copyright owner:
- Do not make copies (electronic, video, photographic or physical) of all or part of any research paper that you obtain through the site other than for your personal use
- Do not sell access to, or make any commercial use of, any research paper that you obtain through the site
- Do not distribute copies of any research paper that you obtain through the site to individuals outside of your immediate medical need
- Do not prepare derivative works of any research paper that you obtain through the site
- Do not display any research papers obtain through the site, by posting them online or otherwise
About Gary Price
Gary Price (email@example.com) is a librarian, writer, consultant, and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro area. Before launching INFOdocket, Price and Shirl Kennedy were the founders and senior editors at ResourceShelf and DocuTicker for 10 years. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services at Ask.com, and is currently a contributing editor at Search Engine Land.